General X-ray/Chest X-Ray
No special preparation required. Women should inform their doctor or technologist if they are pregnant.
Patient will need to purchase:
One 10 once bottle of magnesium citrate (lemon or cherry).
2 Fleet enemas.
Day Before Exam
Drinks Allowed (***NO SOLID FOODS***)
Clear Liquid Allowed:
- Strained fruit juices without pulp (Apple, White Grape, Lemonade)
- Clear both or bouillon (no noodles, meats or vegetables)
- Coffee or tea (no milk or creamers). They can have sugar, sweet and low or honey
- Sodas (including diet sodas)
- Non-carbonated drinks (like flavored ice teas)
- Jello (lemon, lime or orange- No fruit or toppings)
- Ice Popsicles (no pieces of fruits and no milk products)
Steps to be Taken
- 12:00 noon - pour the 10 once bottle of magnesium citrate over ice and drink. Then drink two 8 once glasses of any approved liquid by 1:00 PM
- take 1 Fleet enema at 6:00PM.
- Take 2nd Fleet enema the morning of exam approximately 2 -3 hours before test.
Drink one more 8 ounce glass of approved liquid by 8:00 PM. More approved liquid are allowed until 12:00 midnight if you choose.
Day of Procedure
Repeat step three.
The quality of the images obtained during this procedure can be degraded if the stomach is not empty of food. Therefore, you will likely be asked not to eat or drink anything (including orally administered medications, especially antacids) after midnight on the day before the examination, nor should you chew gum or smoke after this time as these activities can increase stomach secretions that also may degrade the quality of the images. Before the procedure begins, you will be asked to remove all jewelry and also may be asked to wear a special gown with no metal fasteners that could show up on the images.